Join over 2,000 investors and sign up to our platform to review and compare our latest opportunities. Please contact us for more information about upcoming opportunities or our technology.
Investments on this site put your capital at risk and are for experienced investors only. Learn more
- £25,000Min. Investment
- EISFund Type
- EvergreenClosing Date
Mercia has an Investment Team of industry specialists with venture capital expertise, working extensively with portfolio companies to scale each business with the aim of ultimately delivering shareholder returns.
Mercia can fund companies with different pools of capital, initially via its own EIS Funds or other third-party funds, and then selectively using Mercia’s proprietary capital. Mercia is therefore able to provide a ‘Complete Capital Solution’ for entrepreneurs and small companies, starting from seed rounds of £100,000, larger rounds of up to £2.0million, and building to funding rounds of £10.0million.
- Sustained Deal Flow - the consistency in both value and volume of Mercia's deal flow is hugely supported by deep relationships and networks in each region.
- Diversified Portfolio - consisting of approximately 15 EIS qualifying technology companies.
- Advance Assurance - will be sought from the HMRC for each investment.
- Proactive, specialist asset manager providing capital to regional SMEs (96% invested outside of London).
- Eight offices across the UK with 90 investment staff and 19 university partnerships.
- The Mercia Group has a substantial track record of delivering realisations from early-stage technology companies.
- This EIS fund is managed by a team that has seeded unicorns, and delivered some very high multiple returns to investors (26x Allinea, ~100x BluePrism)
- Mercia have just sold OxGene for up to 20x return on investment. In addition, there are other EIS exits imminent, and various portfolio companies are building significant value.
The Mercia Model
Mercia is a national investment group focused on the funding and scaling of innovative technology businesses with high growth potential from the UK regions. Portfolio companies in Mercia EIS may benefit from strategic follow-on investment from Mercia Technologies PLC.
There are various important elements:
1. Investment strategy
The Mercia EIS Fund aims to triple invested capital within five to seven years, including tax reliefs, by investing in a well-diversified early-stage, multi-sector technology fund. In order to achieve this, we expect one third of companies to fail, and one third to achieve over 3x. Mercia’s EIS investments are focused on the undeserved geographical regions of the UK, investing in sectors in which we have deep expertise.
2. The Complete Capital Solution
Mercia’s model provides a single investment partner for technology businesses. The model combines third party managed funds with the potential for direct investment via Mercia Technologies PLC, which supports businesses at a later stage to drive growth and enhance value.
3. Sector focus
Mercia’s investment team has a unique, strong blend of venture capital skills and significant operational experience. It is formed of entrepreneurs and business builders, all of whom have specialist knowledge in high- growth technology sectors. Mercia’s four key sectors are:
• Electronics, Materials, Manufacturing & Engineering
• Life Sciences & Biosciences
• Software & the Internet
• Digital & Digital Entertainment
4. Geographic focus
Mercia is a national investor with a focus on the UK regions where the team believes it can find better value than in the competitive landscape of the South East. Mercia now has eight offices in the UK regions surrounded by a network of university partnerships, providing enviable dealflow.
5. Investor services
Mercia has an online Investor Centre, through which most of its investor services are available. Mercia provides timely and consistent communication, ensuring that all relevant documents, including regular valuations, are available. In addition, Mercia’s Share Exchange may provide an option of early liquidity for investors.
In the last 12 months, we have sold four portfolio companies at 8x, one at 13x-20x and one at 2x.
During 2020/21, we returned more money than we raised, which apparently is unique amongst the leading fund managers.
The Mercia group has done hundreds of exits, with the highest multiple be 105x; we aim to beat that with at least one of our EIS companies in the next few years.
To digitally invest in this opportunity, review the documentation and start your application below.
The content above has been provided by Mercia Fund Management Ltd who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under firm registration number 524856.